Why The Law of Attraction Was A Secret
Given the power and potency of the Law of Attraction, you might wonder why the Law of Attraction was a secret. Up until “The Secret” documentary was produced, very few people talked about manifestation.
In fact, it still isn’t all that popular even now—and it’s certainly not as famous as its potential efficacy suggests it should be.
So why was the Law of Attraction a secret?
Here are the 5 major underlying reasons you need to know about…
- It Was Forgotten
- Much Of The Supporting Research Is New
- The Science Behind Manifestation Isn’t Widely Spread
- The Law Of Attraction Isn’t Always Described As Such
- The Whole Truth Is Often Hidden
What does this mean?
1. It Was Forgotten
The Law of Attraction is an ancient philosophy, but it was gradually forgotten. You can see it in old proverbs, including those in the Bible: for example, “A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones” (Proverbs 15:30).
This is one of the earliest documented observations that how we think and feel can actively change our physical health and what happens around us. However, if you go back as far as 391 BC, you can see Plato commenting on the fact that “like tends towards like.”
Although these early seeds of the modern concept of the Law of Attraction may have impacted on people at the time, they got lost, overlooked and misinterpreted over the years. And eventually, the Law Of Attraction became “a secret”.
2. Much Of The Supporting Research Is New
Another reason why the Law of Attraction was a secret for so long is that there was a common misconception that it wasn’t scientifically supported. However, exciting new research proves the Law of Attraction is real.
You can read more about this in our book “Origins”, but let’s briefly consider a few of the most significant discoveries. Firstly, in neuroimaging studies scientists have shown that practicing creative visualization correlates with greater success, and that mirror neurons mean we have the power to induce both negative and positive emotions in others (which in turn impacts on whether we attract things like a new job or a lasting relationship).
Elsewhere, psychiatrists are finding that prescribing affirmations increases a patient’s chances of achieving their goals—just as the Law of Attraction tells us.
Unfortunately, the relative newness of these research projects means that many people still labor under the misapprehension that manifestation is an implausible, mystical idea (rather than the hard science it actually is).
3. The Science Behind Manifestation Isn’t Widely Spread
Even though there is an ever-increasing body of evidence supporting the Law of Attraction, this information hasn’t yet been disseminated very effectively. In fact, this is deliberate in some cases. For example, Law of Attraction techniques have been used by millionaires and other highly successful people for a long time, but they often chose to keep this important knowledge to themselves.
This is changing now—even modern day celebrities are using the Law of Attraction to their advantage, and this is helping to raise its profile and get the key messages out to a wider audience.
For example, Will Smith openly and passionately talks about how he uses the Law of Attraction, Oprah Winfrey credits the Law of Attraction for her Oscar-nominated performance in The Color Purple, and Lady Gaga is a vocal proponent of the power of affirmations.
4. The Law Of Attraction Isn’t Always Described As Such
If you look closely, you’ll find stacks of books written about the Law of Attraction, many hundreds of years ago—but they don’t always reference manifestation specifically. “Think and Grow Rich” is a great example here.
Published back in 1937, it argues that you can do and be anything you want if you have the right thoughts and feelings about your goal. Meanwhile, Prentice Mulford wrote “Thoughts are Things” as long ago as 1889, explaining that what we talk and think about is what we attract into our lives.
However, because these books don’t include explicit mentions of the Law of Attraction, readers couldn’t easily piece this disparate information together and see it as what it is—significant evidence that the Law of Attraction has always worked. That’s another reason why The Law Of Attraction was a secret.
5. The Whole Truth Is Often Hidden
The final major reason why the Law of Attraction was a secret is that many Law of Attraction books and gurus still don’t actually tell you the whole truth about what to manifest. Here are just a few of the “secret” tips that you need to know:
- You need to learn to release your desire if you’re going to get what you want. I often liken it to throwing a ball—it can’t arrive at its destination if you cling on to it! Of course, this is easier said than done, but once you master it then it makes all the difference.
- You have an Intention Point, and once you discover how to work with it you can increase your manifestation potential tenfold. The Intention Point is the crucial space between heart and mind, and I can give you concrete advice on how to both find and reposition it.
- The Law of Attraction isn’t something you switch on in order to get what you want—it’s in the background all the time. This means learning specific techniques is unlikely to get you the results you want unless you learn how to think differently all the time. A large part of this process is about rejecting and replacing old beliefs, which you can learn how to do in the Manifestation Addendum of my “Origins” book.